Monday, March 1, 2010

The Journey, Part 11

Tolerance: –noun 1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
Freedom from bigotry? geez
Acceptance: –noun 3. the act of assenting or believing

I'm not sure which one of these words is the most appropriate for what I'm going to write about, but I guess the one I have heard most often is "tolerance." Although, acceptance seems to be more accurate to me.

The other day, some friends and I were driving downtown, and somehow the topic of sex got brought up. We spent the nearly 20 minute drive naming off the people we personally knew who were having sex. One girl was even saying how her roommate would tell her about her escapades and say it is no big deal. I was shocked at the number of people I found that were having sex. Growing up, sex seemed like the worst of all sins, (I was young and still measured sins by degree of "worseness") and I still somewhat look at it that way. But lately, I have become much more tolerant. Much more accepting.
It is NOT ok.
I stopped and thought about how much I have been taught, not by my parents, but by culture, to accept. That it is not right to let people know, whether by words or deeds, that whatever they are choosing to do is not ok with me. Please understand that I do NOT feel it is right to disrespect a person or abuse them verbally, or physically, in any way, EVER, but I also do not feel it is right to be told that I need to keep my mouth shut over issues I feel strongly about, when others are more than welcome to speak freely about theirs. I have learned that making people "comfortable" takes precedence over speaking the truth. How did it get like this? Yes, God is merciful beyond ANYTHING we can imagine (look at the life of Paul), yes his love is too much for us, even being held back because if he fully opened the flood gates of his love, it would crush us. Yes, he wants us to respect others because God has no favorites (Deut. 10:17). But God also wants us to be serious enough about this life to do what he commands. He gave us rules to live by, not as a way to hold us under his thumb, but a way to give us a much more fulfilling life. In Psalm 50, God says that the people "hate[d] my instruction and cast my words behind you." and they will be judged. There will be a time coming when God will no longer "[keep] quiet" and will "accuse you to your face."

I think in this post-modern world, the idea that God is this big, loving, "grandfather of the sky" is all too common. He IS big. He IS loving. But he expects us to live as we should.
It's NOT ok.
Please don't let it be ok. Often, "you say it best when you say nothing at all." Don't let that "best" be something you don't mean to say.

"To conceal ignorance is to increase it."
-Gandhi




I found God today in that: I do not want to be tolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment