Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why?

Chapel today got me thinking about why I am a Christian.

The speaker was busy talking about his "God experiences" while discussing how Christianity is all about "seeing the world on a slant." I thought about how much I liked that idea. Of seeing the world not as it is, but how it could be. Because that is who God created me to be. A victim of my own optimism. Seeing things for how they could be. The potential they could so much live up to. This guy was saying how Christianity is like that. It knows no color, race, gender, age, nationality, hair color, past, etc. It only knows things for the future. Seeing someone on the street and knowing (hopefully) they are your brother or sister in Christ. Like seeing the whole world through the eyes of baptism. In water, things always look a little different. People are lighter in weight and if you're in a pool and you look at your arm in the water, it's always a little distorted. That's how Christianity is. Seeing things differently than those sun bathers sittin' on the side.

But as he was talking about his story, I couldn't help but think about why my story is my story. Quite frankly, it's pretty boring compared to some of my friends. I have known people who have had huge, ground breaking stories to tell as to why they came to God. Big interventions, hitting rock bottom, so on so forth. But I've never had that. I've never had a "come to the light" moment. Yet, I fight for Jesus every day. My lifestyle, my everything, is based on one (daily) decision. So, why do I do it? Why have I chosen this life that is often extremely difficult, but what I believe to be always rewarding?

I challenge you to ask yourself the same thing. If you haven't had a devastating experience or don't have a mind-blowing story to tell, why are you a Christian? And even if you have, why did that change things? I don't say this to discourage anyone, I just think is it incredibly important to realize why you, why I, do what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment