Friday, March 12, 2010

Part 2?

I've been thinking about my last post a lot.

This morning, in the shower, I got to thinking about prayer. That's generally the first time I pray, haha, and it was like all of a sudden the question of why I pray, especially for others, hit me. Admittedly, prayer has never been easy for me. Growing up, I couldn't grasp the idea of just talking rather than a formal prayer, and now, it's difficult to know what to say. It's hard for me to know what to say on behalf of others particularly. Sometimes all I'm left with is just speaking their name.

And I was thinking about all the thoughts and writing of last night. If we are, in a sense, master's of our own fate, then why is prayer even necessary? If we choose to color outside the lines, make a masterpiece, or make a big picture of brown muck, then why do we need to pray?
It always came back to the realization that God still provides everything. He gives me those crayons and that paper. He gives me guidance, when I ask for it, and lovingly watches over me. And prayer is about thanksgiving, supplication, and repentance, right? All things provided for by God.

It still doesn't answer questions like in Acts 13 and 16 when Paul (which the scriptures interestingly enough switch from Saul to Paul here) and Barnabas were influenced by the Holy Spirit. In chapter 13, Paul and Barnabas were SENT out by the Holy Spirit. In chapter 16, they were actually PREVENTED from going to Asia. Some argue that the Holy Spirit isn't really God, just a conscious of some sort that we have. Others would argue that the Holy Spirit is very much a part of God. Does this contradict with free will?
I have some thoughts, but they aren't quite formulated yet...


I used to not particularly like the rain until I watched the Nooma video entitled "Rain."
Now, to me, it means "I love you buddy. We're gunna make it."



I found God today in: the questions and the rain

No comments:

Post a Comment