Thursday, March 4, 2010

"now we see things imperfectly..."


"a child is the beauty of God in the world."
Mother Teresa


There's this precious little girl at the Elementary School. I call her Hannah Banana, and she loves to play. Her and her friends compete to see who can hug me first every day, and she always loses :) She's soft spoken, very obedient, has beautiful wavy sandy colored hair, and a laugh that will melt you heart.
This little girl also has Glaucoma.

I saw her today for the first time in a while. You see, she hasn't been at extended day in a while because she has had more surgeries in her short lifetime than most of us will ever see, causing her to miss a lot. Since I hadn't seen her in a while, we sat and talked. I asked her how she had been and what she had been doing, and she explained that she had been putting up posters around school for Glaucoma awareness week next week. Some of her friends had been helping her too...

"Yea, I've already lost complete eyesight in my left eye." She says in her soft voice, and then looks at the ground. My heart aches and slowly crumbles as I realize this is not the first time she has said this. She considers it a way of life now and tries to live on, barely seeing out of her right eye. She is strong, but underneath she is crying because of the things she will never get to see. The opportunities she will never have, all because of this disease. You see, Glaucoma steals away eyesight, often without any signs at all, and there is no. cure. I didn't know anything to do except put my arm around her and hold her close, wanting so badly to heal her.

She is an angel. She has the fingerprints of Jesus ALL over her, and one day, she will play and laugh with better vision than she has known or will ever know. And I can't wait to be there so she can be the first to hug me.


"now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity." 1 Corinthians 13:12




I found God today in: Hannah Banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment