Wednesday, March 31, 2010

chocolate covered sweethearts

An entry from my journal on Monday, March 29th:

Honestly, I didn't really want to go to Y.E.S tonight. I was tired and my English paper was looming on the horizon. But, naturally, I went. When I got there (about 7), the bus wasn't there. In fact, it didn't get there until 7:15...with 27 kids!! The most I can ever remember having. AND one teacher didn't show up. We all gathered around to formulate a plan while the little ones were trapped on the bus. Once assembled and decided, I stepped outside to herd them in :) I saw many faces I recognized, and many I didn't, but I tried to hug them all anyway. We finally got all the girls we were teaching (Mrs. Phyllis and I) into one classroom. We were a little worried also, because our topic was Jesus healing Peter's mother-in-law...WHAT. A total of 2 verses talked about it in the bible. Anyway, the girls all came in and sat down (9 in all). Once the initial excitement of settling in was over, they sat perfectly (almost) still and quiet the WHOLE time! They actually listened!! AND responded. I think I can count on less than one hand the number of times that has happened. Granted, chaos ensued after class, but all during, they were attentive. It was so encouraging. I am often brokenhearted by what I see and hear from the kids, but more than that, I am never sure what they take from the lesson. Nights like this show me that seeds, even tiny ones, have been planted and are growing. And as I looked into their little brown faces with beautifully curled eyelashes, I saw Jesus. Something I would have missed if I had been selfish and not gone.

I'm so glad God teaches me things. That he cares for me enough to gently nudge me into his way and light. And that he wants to show me his face in the faces of those chocolate covered sweethearts.

1 comment:

  1. It is crazily mind blowing when you see that God is in everyone... mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete