Sunday, March 7, 2010

Just Love OK!

Sometimes I experience tangible bliss.
There's this one swing outside my dorm. It overlooks the Elam circle, not a particularly lovely view, and sits on the corner, right before the heart of Lipscomb is visible. I've come to this swing before, on a few occasions actually, but none such as this. Today was beautiful. The air was a little crisp, (I like that word. Crisp.) but the sky made up for that. So, I was sitting on my swing, reading, and just looked up.
The clouds were moving, hesitantly creeping away from the sun, turning from a pale blue to purple and orange. My absolute favorite kind. I only wish I could bottle up some of this fluffy goodness. Campus was quiet, maybe everyone experiencing the same stillness I was, and all I could hear were a few birds chirping, and a faint whistle from a man with his hands in his pockets. In the air, an airplane, moving at a rate that seemed inconceivable, left its ear busting noise trailing behind, echoing against the expanses, and a faint trail of wood burning, bringing me back to bonfires and devos of what seems to be long ago. All I could do was sit there, not wanting to move. I didn't, wouldn't even allow, anything to ruin this moment for me. I didn't want to let anything inside, disrupting my silence, my bliss, as I sat and conjured these very words.

It didn't start out that way though. I was holed up in my room this afternoon with too much homework looming on the horizon. I wanted to be anywhere but there, doing anything but that, but I typed on. Numerous notecards and two typed papers later, my joints, and my spirit needed a break. It was too pretty outside not to. One of my favorite places to go is Borders. I absolutely love to read, (although admittedly if the book isn't good in the beginning, I force myself to make it past page 3) and had hopes of getting a new book. I checked my email for a coupon (haven't bought a book full price YET) and checked my bank account for money. Sighing, due to a lack of substance in the latter, I drove. Again, it was a nice day, and my spirits were a little brightened the farther away I got from my room, leaving it as a distant memory. Once at Borders, I picked up this book that greeted me as soon as I walked in. I had seen it before, but had no idea what the name was. Once I picked it up and began reading, I didn't even stop to check and see how long the chapters were. It was so good. And you know what? I bought it. I did have my coupon, but by golly, I bought it.
And so what, I thought to myself as I left. Why do I worry so much? I could give you a list of verses that tell me, and you, not to worry about things, big or small, or not to worry about money, but I won't. Not this time. Because I wanted that book. And lately, life seems much more precious to me.
So what if I wanna sit on a swing, that doesn't overlook some great scenery, drink a cherry dr. pepper, and read away my afternoon when I should be doing homework.
SO WHAT if I wanna sing at the top of my lungs, even though I'm excitable and always start singing too early.
So what if I choose to love, with all my heart, someone most people would say I'm better off without.
So what if I eat 2 chocolate chip cookies.
So what if I stay up late when I know that 7:45 is gunna come all too early.
SO WHAT if I spend money eating with wonderful friends when I should be saving it for countless other, "more important," things
and the list goes on.

If you aren't going to stop worrying for God, (because He can handle it, you know) then stop for you. LIFE IS TOO SHORT. I pray, I BEG, that you and I will never, ever be old grumpy people some day. Go buy a bouncy ball. Go kiss someone. Go tell someone how much you love them. Because you would want that done to you wouldn't you? Yes, you would.

:)

and go read Little Bee.

2 comments:

  1. Allison!!
    Like always, this is exactly what I need to hear this week!
    God's voice is so loud through you!
    I have been so bogged down by worry lately. Our whole society has.
    I never ever want to be someone that people think of as stressed or busy or worried.
    I want to be free and careless and light.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hallie! im so so so glad!! i am right there with you! we will take the journey together! i love you and am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete