Thursday, March 25, 2010

There's one little girl at school is particularly troublesome. It's unusual if she doesn't get in trouble at least 3 times a day, often times landing her in the hallway. Yesterday, she even got sent inside to my boss. Today was no exception. We had gotten on to her so many times that I was at the point of utter frustration. What do you do with a child who gets in trouble non-stop and no punishment seems to affect her whatsoever? I've felt all along that something is going on at home that we don't know about. That's generally the case, and there are some facts that definitely prove this true for her. She had been sent in the hall once already and told to write an apology note and how she would do better. She wrote it, brought it in, went to playing, and started throwing Legos again. Again, she was sent into the hall, this time on the verge of tears after she stuck her tongue out at my co-worker. However, she is a theatrical cryer, so at this point it's difficult for us to read anything into her tears. There was literally nothing else to do, so I did the only thing I know how to do. I sat "criss-cross apple sauce" and I talked to her.

I told her that I didn't want to get her in trouble, I just wanted to find out what was going on. I explained to her that no one likes getting her in trouble, despite what she may think, and I know she doesn't like it either. Besides that, she often drags another little girl into trouble with her. She sat there just looking at me, and I could tell that she was quickly formulating a lie; always her line of defense. I caught her in the midst of it and pleaded with her to tell the truth. After a minute or two, she began to talk about how it was really hard for her to be good. Telling a lie comes easily to her and she does bad things because it makes her (one) friend laugh. Basically, this little girl is starving for people to like her. She will lie, break rules, and do whatever it takes to get even one person to notice her. My heart hurt. I looked her straight in the eye and told her that I thought she was a sweet little girl and that I liked her very much. I don't like seeing her get in trouble, and I don't want to do it anymore. She sat there, just blinking, until I told her that I liked her very much. And then, suddenly, her eyes welled up with tears. It was as if she had never heard or believed that someone could like her. I hugged her and told her I would be watching and waiting for her to prove that she can do better because I know she can.

Please show someone how much you care for them today. I can't beg you enough. I NEVER want to have another conversation with a child who cries because someone actually likes her.

No comments:

Post a Comment