Thursday, June 3, 2010

My posts on here are generally all very positive. Usually, they are talking about some kind of awesome experience I have had, or just thoughts and feelings I have gotten from studying Scripture or from praying. But I have also written before about how I wish we were real with each other. And it's only right that I follow suit.

I want to be approachable (if that's the right word) to everyone. And although I don't feel like I should cater to everyone's particular thoughts or feelings on things, I also don't want to come across as a happy-go-lucky, perfectly peaceful person. Because that is not always the case.

Today, I didn't feel very loving. I didn't feel very happy. And in fact, last night I was even a little upset with God. Rationally, I know that God would never do anything to purposefully hurt me. He would never give me more than I can handle, and He cannot even be associated with sin. So basically, I had no reason to be mad at Him, but I was mad. And there are days, like this morning, where I kind of have to force myself to love. Not just love others, but love God. (I know that's a very...bold...statement to make, but that's the truth.) But it's like Kris said on her blog, when you marry someone you don't always feel like "loving them;" however, you made a commitment. You said you would, no matter what happened. That's how I look at it with God sometimes. He has done NOTHING for me to not love Him (quite the opposite, really), but because I am a fallen human in a fallen world with fallen feelings, I am plagued by the irritating lack of love at times.

The important thing to remember amongst the bad feelings is that it IS just a feeling. I can't get carried away with them because chances are, they aren't true. God and His love for me and my love for him is unchangeable. It is unwavering even amongst the worst of unhappy days.

1 comment:

  1. Allison,
    I think that any follower of Jesus who is being honest with him/herself can acknowledge that it is not easy to love God. HE makes it as easy as possible, but we are lazy and unmotivated and distracted and it's so hard to stay passionate. Working through those times is what builds our relationship with Him, just like a marriage or a friendship. The very fact that you have remained committed through the more difficult times and the good proves that you are in-over-your head in love with God, whether or not you feel it.

    ReplyDelete