Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ha, I can only laugh at this post.
I woke up at 4 this morning, extremely parched. The kind of aching for water you feel when you are outside in 90 degree weather, drenched in sweat, with a pool full of luscious water in sight. I actually went to bed thirsty, but at the time, I was too exhausted to get out of bed to get water. So when 4 o'clock rolled around, it was beyond time to get something to drink.
I wandered into the kitchen, my eyes going from the sweet tea on the counter to the chocolate milk in the fridge. Neither satisfied my craving though, so I settled on a homemade rice krispee treat. Going back to bed, cautiously looking over my shoulder along the way (you can never be too sure these days), my mind of course began to meander over previous thoughts and even some new thoughts. Tripping over the idea of angels, my mind settled into a previous thought I've had of whether there are girl angels. After a minute or two, I realized it was close to the top of my list of things that are not clearly laid out for in the Bible and something I wont know until I get to Heaven. I had hit another wall.
And then I thought, well what's so wrong with that. As humans, we long to know every detail. In fact, we wont settle until we know the ins and outs OF the ins and outs of everything. Forget putting a little faith into anything, no no, that could put our ever so fragile ego at risk. And so, if and when we hit said wall, we get disgruntled, grumpy, and even turn our backs on the thought that got us there. Honestly, I think we're just plain afraid of the big wall in front of us.

Well, what would it be like if we just rested on the wall? Threw a ball against it, set up a nice picnic in it's shade. Painted a nice mural for all to enjoy. Where does it say that we have to know everything? When did we get so caught up in thinking that only when we know everything can we decide to believe. Does the subject of whether or not there are girl angels change the love I have for my Father? Does not knowing that one fact, although awesome, affect my appetite for Heaven? No. And it shouldn't. Along with any and every other wall we may hit, no matter the shape, size, color, texture, or density. I fully believe there are some things we just can't handle knowing. We are simply humans, after all.

"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1

Funny thing is, I planned this whole thing out, thinking I should probably write it down, even at 4 in the morning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment