Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And oh, how He loves us so.

Taft Ayers spoke in class tonight, and boy am I glad I was there.
I say that because I honestly did not want to go to church tonight. Church and I struggle sometimes, but tonight, I knew, despite my feelings, it was best for me to go.

I don't have some big, long thing to say about it, and I know full well that these words will be read, but not read by most people. And that's ok. Sometimes, hearts just aren't ready to listen.
The theme of our class is "Things I Wish I Had Known." (We are the young adult/college class). And Taft's main verse to headline all he spoke about is found in Matthew 12. "I desire mercy, not sacrifice."
The thing that stuck out the most to me, though, were two particular things he said.

We are saved because He loves us.
We work, because He loves us.
It is not, nor is it ever: I have to work to be saved. Or, I have to do [enter amount of good deeds here] to be loved by Him.

I know this. I knew this before class. But lately, I have forgotten. I have been fighting for the salvation I already have and that cannot be taken from me. Not because of what I do or even because of who I am...but because He loves me.



"Create in me a clean heart, O God
And renew a right spirit within me.
Restore unto me the JOY of my salvation
And renew a right spirit within me."

1 comment:

  1. It is ridiculous how much God connects our lives.
    I was honestly just thinking about this concept today. If I believe that Jesus' Grace is enough to cover me, then it is enough. If I doubt that His Grace could cover all of MY sins, then how can I expect it to?
    I believe that Jesus loves me enough to save me.
    I believe that His mercy on the cross covered all of my sins... even the big ones.
    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete