Wednesday, May 26, 2010

There's a Difference in Living and Living Well

Ok, so I've already mentioned the insane fact that Jesus knew that us having the Holy Spirit would be better than Him physically being with us.
And someone may be wondering, ok, this is really cool. I can actually have God living in me. (and even if you already know this...HELLLOO THAT IS AWESOME). But how?
Paul tells us in Acts 2:38:
"And Peter answered them, Repent (change your views and purpose to accept the will of God in your inner selves instead of rejecting it) and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of and release from your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." AMP Bible Version
So when we are baptized, we receive the Holy Spirit. If you have been baptized, think back to that day. I know for me, I felt like I could conquer the world. I felt invincible, untouchable, and practically glowing with joy. But eventually, that kind of wore off. And then I went back to feeling like I always had. Yes, my actions and thoughts began to change, but I still felt like a normal, young girl.
I wonder if that feeling was the Holy Spirit. I am told that I would receive it, and I don't doubt that one bit. And it was definitely not an earthly feeling. But don't you think there is a difference in "making one's home" and actually "living?" A little less than a year ago, I moved into a dorm for college. The initial moving in can be a really exciting one. Meeting new people, decorating, making things your own. You feel hopeful and excited for your future there. But sometimes, and in my case, things don't go well. Things are not at all like you thought they would be. And although you have made your home there, you are not really living. I think it's the same with the Holy Spirit. I have to maintain things, I have to ask for Him to work in my life, and I have to be willing, not willful. Because just like moving into my dorm room, the beginning was good, but after a while due to other things, I felt like the life was being stifled out of me. I had become stale, and even numb. God is God no matter where we are in our lives. He has done His part, and always does. The Spirit wants to be living and breathing, producing fruit in our lives. But if we don't want the same, if we don't ask for Him to do so, He can't can He? Because God will not violate free will. After all, that was a Gift too.

I hope I said what I wanted to say. Sometimes it's hard for things to really hit me because I have grown up in church my whole life. I have been taught big, important things over and over, and that can make them lose their effect. But please, don't lose the meaning here: the HUGENESS of the fact that we can become alive, with God living in us, and all we have to do (after repentance and baptism) is ASK.

No comments:

Post a Comment