Monday, May 3, 2010

ALL things new.

over 13 inches of rain killed about 15 people in 2 days.
(numbers vary depending on source)

This makes no sense to me. Friday afternoon, someone happened to mention that the weather would be bad this weekend, and my first thought was that I would get to finally wear my new rain boots. I had NO idea what was coming. I had an exam Saturday morning, and because I can never quite sleep through the night, I woke up at about 6 AM and I recall it already raining. About 2 hours later when I actually had to get up, I thought it was really strange that it was still raining. Usually, it rains for a few hours then stops. But since Nashville weather is so ridiculous, I thought nothing more about it.
Saturday carried on, and the rain never stopped. I decided to get away from campus for the night and go help my older sister paint her new house. Still. Raining. It wasn't until I got on the road that I realized how bad it was. The roads just trying to get out of Lipscomb were already flooding, and I was shocked at how quickly it had happened. I finally made it to Valerie's apartment after taking a detour because the road through the Ellington Agricultural Center was flooded so high only the tip of the fences surrounding the fields to the left and right could be seen. I spent all of Saturday and Sunday, waiting the storm out. Valerie and Brandon don't have cable, radio, or internet at the house yet, so we were relying solely off of what people were calling and telling us. I wasn't scared until I was told that 2 storms, both with funnel rotation, were going to hit us until 5 AM Sunday morning. Praying for God to hold us, we finally went to sleep.
I wasn't able to get back to school until about noon this afternoon. We drove around a little bit on Sunday and today to see the damage and it is truly humbling. My family and I are safe and our houses are safe, but there are TOO many who aren't. But regardless, God is good.

He is teaching me a lot lately about "making all things new". This situation is no exception. Today, it was like it had never rained. Driving back to school, it was almost as if nothing had happened. It was only when I looked closely that I noticed any damage. The sun and clouds were out, and it was warm. Just an indication that He is making all things new. The storm does stop. It will stop. And although it wreaked havoc on everything it touched, life comes from devastation. I'm not just talking about some flooding either.

No comments:

Post a Comment