Monday, April 12, 2010

Serving Leftovers to a Holy God.

*Disclaimer: I've been wrestling with things lately that most people find uncomfortable. They don't want to talk about and are perfectly content with the "box-God" they have created. If that's what you choose, that's what you choose. I am not making you read what I write. If you are upset by what I say, maybe you should further examine yourself...or just stop reading :) I don't feel like I should have to explain myself, but I am simply a follower of Christ trying to figure out what that actually means. Don't say I didn't warn you...


Let me start this by saying that anyone who hasn't read Crazy Love by Francis Chan is seriously missing out. But be warned, it will give you a much needed slap in the face.
I'm not really sure where to begin with this. Since I have begun reading this book, I have really examined my life. It is disheartening to find what I have found sometimes. But it leads me to greater things through Christ, and for that I am thankful. So, it's been especially difficult to put into words the way I've been feeling without blasting people :) or sounding hypocritical. I'm going to try to put some things on here, but it's thoughts that I've written down over a period of time, so I don't know how cohesive it will be. Or short for that matter, haha.
I will also say that I am speaking to myself. Y'all just happen to be reading it. If you take anything from it, that's even better!

How come I have always associated "lukewarmness" with Christianity?
In Revelation 3, Jesus is speaking to a church, but that doesn't mean they are right with Him. Does being "spit out" mean that they could have been a part of His kingdom? Would Jesus really want people to be a part of Him whom he deems unworthy enough to spit out?
"wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, naked" (you will have to read the passage to understand.)
Describing Jesus' followers? Saints?
The word Christian is just a word. It means nothing if there is no devotion. Teacher means nothing without someone willing to teach. Would you consider a person never coming to class or giving assignments living out the proper descriptions of a teacher?
I can't be a careful Christian and expect a place with Christ some day.
Does it make sense the way we live?
Do you really, really, truly believe that God wants us to lead such a "careful" life while living for Him?
We are sooo careful to not love Jesus too much. That would make us radical.
We are sooo careful to not talk about the Spirit working and moving in us. Are you really going to fight against the words of Jesus? (Mark 1:8, Mark 12:36, John 14:26 among others...)
We are so careful not to read or apply the verses that we don't want to follow. That couldn't be meant for us, right? Wrong. Since when could anyone go to college without turning in all the applications? Since when could one be a part of the military without doing all the work? It doesn't make sense. So why do we SO often make it acceptable to only partially do the work of a "Christian"?
I look to missionaries, preachers, and bible scholars to teach and live in ways that Christ called ALL of his followers to do.
We sit in our pews and are COMFORTABLE with the fact that we are STAGNANT.
Not moving, growing, or learning. Only dying.
We quiet the people who are so in love with Christ they can't stand it because it makes US uncomfortable.
I must have missed the verse that says we are to limit our love for Christ.
Think about how you worship for a second.
Now think about how you would worship if Christ was sitting next to you, or even in the same room. Would you sit in your pew, blankly staring ahead, moving your lips to the tune of the song?
Or would you rejoice, dwelling on thoughts of Jesus, letting Him move you to worship?
Would Jesus be happy with how we worship him?
Reluctantly stale?
Why do we think we are the good soil from the parable of the sowers in Matthew 13?
What makes us think we have it all right?
Why do we think it's ok to put a constraint on how much we can love and how to worship God?
I don't get it.
and I shudder at the thought of how much of my life was spent that way.
in COMPLACENCY.
Do you really believe God made us to serve when we want, costing us nothing, try not to sin because we are scared of hell, not because we truly love Him, and only partially follow what He says?
"The thought of a person calling himself a 'Christian' without being a devoted follower of Christ is absurd." -Crazy Love
If I lost my faith, would my life be any different? Would it look any different?
Would yours?

Half-hearted, complacent, "that doesn't apply to me," "I must have it right because I go to a church of Christ" living is LUKEWARM.
God is spittin' you out.

2 comments:

  1. This is really good Allison. I'm not perfect, of course, but I wish others in the "church" would see things this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison....
    I just got chills. I'm not kidding.
    The Holy Spirit is speaking through you. That is POWERFUL.
    (Speaking of... you should read Frances Chan's other book, Forgotten God, about the Holy Spirit).
    Anyways, this realization is so incredible and earth shaking. Unfortunately, I realized this and then I forgot it. THANK YOU for reminding me. I don't know if you are noticing this, but God seems to be speaking to me through you and saying exactly what I need to hear... and visa versa. That is flipping sweet. Thank you thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete