Sunday, April 18, 2010

Our journey seemed like it was taking a lot longer than expected. I couldn't remember where we were, but it sure was taking a long time to get to where we were going. We had passed through countless villages at this point, and I was ready to be rid of all the walking and load bearing. But we were staying in this town for longer than usual. Usually, we would just pass through for the night, asking for a place to stay. But we had already been here for 2 days, and daddy said it may be another 3 until we left. There was something he wanted to see.

I was supposed to stay in the house that day. Because we had stayed with this family for so long, I had been used as a maid for the house. I didn't mind, it was fun to play along with the kids of the house as we prepared meals and tidied up the dirt floor. But that day was different. There was something going on in the streets. Something my parents didn't want me to see, but something they couldn't not see themselves. Well, that made me want to go even more. Making my way through the crowd, I stood at the very front, right where the people had parted to make a small path. I still didn't know what was going on, but I was intrigued by the different kinds of people I saw. Some were angry, yelling things that I couldn't quite understand. Some were crying, and some, like me, were simply standing in amazement. I was jerked to attention when I heard someone yell, "Here he comes!" Looking to my left, I saw the top of what looked like a plank of wood. How strange, I thought. Why would such a large crown gather to watch someone carry wood? People were pushing against me now, and I was confused and getting frustrated. Why were so many people yelling at this man? And why was no one helping him carry his wood? It looked pretty heavy. I don't think my daddy would have even been able to carry that.

He got closer to me, and his wounds were impossible to hide. I grew angry because it looked like he had been attacked by a wild animal with no one to help him. His bones were poking through in his back, and his hands were no longer visible through the blood, which also streamed down his face into his mouth. Suddenly, he fell, and someone close by kicked him, forcing him to get up. My stomach lurched as I threw up what was left of my breakfast that morning, watching the dirt seep into his cuts, causing him to let out a small cry. I thought my heart might burst out of my body as I silently cheered him on, willing him to get up just so they would leave him alone. He finally did get up, taking only tiny steps at a time under the impossible load he was commissioned to bear.

He was only 2 feet away now. I needed to see this man's face. I didn't know why, or how that would even be possible due to all the people around him, but I would do all I could to get that chance. I wasn't sure he would even be able to see me because there was so much dried blood around his eyes, only worsened from the loose dirt he fell on. Finally, he was in front of me. Shifting the weight on his back, he turned his head and opened his eyes, looking right into mine. I blinked, because I didn't think this could be real, and when I opened my eyes again, suddenly I was the only person there. I knew I was alone, but I could not redirect my gaze from his. His eyes were big and full of agony. But underneath was something that could not be hidden. Overwhelming, simple, understanding love. He smiled, and my heart broke as I fell to my knees. "I see you. I love you, my child." I wept, closed my eyes, and reached out to wipe the blood from his.

When I opened them again, the mob surrounded me and he had already walked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment