Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Journey, Part 7

I think a question I have wrestled with for a long time is why we, and by "we" I mean religious people, aren't united. Why are there so many different denominations of churches? It has never made sense to me, and still doesn't. I guess the excuse is everyone's beliefs are different and that's why there are so many different churches. But why? Why must their beliefs be different? It doesn't make sense, and I don't think there really is a reason for it. Maybe an excuse, but not a reason.

I heard a story about a gathering in which Max Lucado spoke. Over several thousand were in attendance, and he asked him one original question. He asked that, on the count of three, they would all yell out the name of the church they went to, or what denomination they were a part of. Once "three" was spoken, it was utter chaos. No one could have made out any particular name amongst the mass. Then, he asked them to yell out the name of the One they would die for and the One they had committed their lives to. Again, "one, two, three," and all that was heard: Jesus.

So why are all these other denominations necessary? Why is it that something that should be so simple is so difficult? I really think it's because each denomination has pride. People are so set on the fact that "they are right, and those people are wrong" that they can't see the plank in their own eye. What makes you right? I can feel the fire in my finger tips as I try not to spout off words of impatience here. Don't get me wrong, I am guilty, but nothing makes me more angry than people who do more harm than good in their "spreading of the gospel" because of a lack of understanding. If we stopped for 2 seconds, we would find that we may have more in common with those of other religions than we think.

With this said, I realize that the childlike notion of "simply" following the bible and letting that be enough is not possible. I have often thought that if people would just do what the bible says and recognize Jesus as their only life, all of this division would go away. Well, that's wishful thinking. Because no one reads a sentence the same. I guess the real thing I'm getting at is just wishing people would stop and love and recognize their own faults before criticizing others. People of every denomination. Because the truth of the matter is, God cannot be contained in the neat box we put Him in. Paul tells us that the word of God cannot be chained! Jesus ate with tax collectors. He hung out with the drunkards, those that lied, cheated, stole, had sex, committed adultery, and those that would kill him. How can we be Jesus to people if we are SO caught up in what they are doing wrong? We can't.



I found God today in that: He wants us to all be united in Him.
"The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ."
1 Corinthians 12:12

No comments:

Post a Comment