Monday, February 1, 2010

Friends, Lovers, or Nothin'

Have you ever thought about how we are to discern between showing others the love of Christ, the love He showed us, and staying away from foolish people? (Proverbs 13:20) By realizing when it's a waste of time? Is it ever? (Psalm 1:1) (Proverbs 14:7).

This thought began its journey in my little brain when I read the thoughts of another blogger (haha) on Jesus' love. 1 John 3:17, 1 John 3:10, Matthew 22:37-39 were just a few of the passages he presented:
"if someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion-how can God's love be in that person?"
"So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers does not belong to God."

"Jesus replied, 'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’"

This blogger (Ben Griffith) seems to suggest along with scripture, and I would agree, that it doesn't matter what other laws we uphold, what righteousness we practice in our lives, if we do not love. People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.
"Scientists tell us that without the presence of the cohesive force amongst the atoms that comprise this globe of ours, it would crumble to pieces and we would cease to exist, and even as there is cohesive force in blind matter, so must there be in all things animate, and the name for that cohesive force among animate beings is love.....where there is love there is life."
Ghandhi

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 tells me that I can have understanding of all knowledge and mysteries, but if I don't have love, I am nothing. Not even if I have faith to move mountains!

Lately this is a thought I have wrestled with a lot. Solomon was an incredibly wise and discerning man (1 Kings 3) and even he says in Proverbs to "escape quickly from the company of fools" and not waste my time or words on them. Growing up, I was told to "choose my friends wisely," and even the bible accounts for numerous stories of people doing wicked things or being influenced by the wrong people they surround themselves with. Take, for example, Samson and Delilah. Delilah tricked Samson all the way around. She was told to find out the key to his strength once he fell in love with her, and deceived him from the beginning. This not only cost the lives of many people, regardless of their wickedness, but his own life.

The question is, when is it time to "shake the dust off my feet" when someone just doesn't want to hear it?

Love is the hardest and most incredible thing to figure out.
And to realize, that even when people hate me, "...keep in mind that it hated me first." (John 15:18)
And Jesus loves me, and them. He has given me a gift that I can never repay him for. And when I say "Hmmm, thanks." and continue gossiping or being selfish or whatever it may be, He. Loves. Me.

This could really turn into like 10 posts...

2 comments:

  1. Love does keep the world together. That is something I feel. I know love keeps me together, God's love. I jsut can't fully understand it.

    I try to be someone who shows Jesus' love. I am not a talking person. In fact, I am quiet. So, I try to jsut let Love be part of my life.

    You're question about fools is tricky. I think, people can still love someone, but not "hang" with them. You jsut have to watch yourself. Don't go to a party if you're unsure... common sense. You can LOVE the whole world but that doesn't mean.... you've got to be with them... My view of Love ... is that youu want the best for that person, even if they are bad company.

    LOVE!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syd you continue to teach me things every day!
    i LOVE you!!

    ReplyDelete