Friday, January 8, 2010

Clarity


Undoubtedly, Winter is not, by any means, my favorite season. When I was young, my family fondly referred to me as "a little oven." That is, I was always hot, no matter where we were or what the temperature was. However, as I've gotten older, I can no longer retain the heat I did in my childhood (hah, I sound like an old woman). This, combined with a lack of winter clothes, icy roads, and illness due to drops of temperature make Winter an unfavored season.

Until today.

I suppose it actually started yesterday. As a dear friend was driving me around, I couldn't help but to look at the branches of the towering trees around me. Light, whipped cream like puffs of snow rested on these exposed branches. And it was truly beautiful. One of those moments where you take a picture in your mind and vow not to forget it. A moment I would have liked to paint. Not only that, but Winter holds a stillness unparalleled to anything else I've ever experienced. During the warmer, prettier seasons, people are outside, busy with their efforts to soak up the warm air. But during the winter, even the birds are quietly hidden from the brisk atmosphere.

Isaiah 30:15-
15 This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
“Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved.
In quietness and confidence is your strength.
But you would have none of it." (NLT version)

I think often times I abhor quietness. I know that as soon as I get in the car, I'm looking for a good radio station, or song on my iPod. If it's quiet, I consider it "awkward." But the Sovereign says that in quietness is [our] strength! But [I] would have none of it.

Winter may now be my favorite season just because of this. The stillness that comes with the temperature change shows the inner heart of God. It exudes, radiates, the necessity of stillness in relation to God, in that ONLY in returning to Him and resting in Him
will
we
be
saved.

Incredible! May you find stillness in God today!

2 comments:

  1. I disagree. Winter has a quietness about it, but so does summer. There is a quietness in the summer too, but summer lacks in the STILLNESS, which winter has. In the summer movement is everywhere, but winter is still, not only quiet.

    "Be still and know that I am God."

    Once there was a man who was a poet. He wanted to write about quietness. He asked to go into the most sound proof room in the world. He went in then cam out. "I hear rushing water and pounding!" he complained. It was his heart.
    Quietness and stillness comes from with in, like peace. It is just easier to do in the right environment!

    You are still hot natured!


    By the way, I love this blog! I'll be your biggest commenter!

    LOVE YOU!
    why have I not seen you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. allison, i just found your blog, and i am so stinkin' glad i did, because you are such an encouraging, anointed daughter of the King!!
    i love hearing anything you have to say and i am excited to read your thoughts on here.
    have a wonderful next semester!!

    ReplyDelete