Saturday, February 26, 2011

Redemption.

Situated under the covers of my queen-sized bed, I am surrounded by mounds of pristine white, cloud-like pillows and prints of lavender sending an air of serenity off of their places on my bedspread. The smell of jasmine, sweet pea, and vanilla fill the air as my candles flicker to the beat of memories on my nightstand.
I am home.
I close my eyes after taking a look around the room and wonder how much longer until my heart bursts.
I SERVE A REDEMPTIVE GOD.

Two months ago, this room held a different kind of scenery. One of ruin. One of desperation. One of loss. The remnants of that picture, of that time, still slightly remain. Even my heart skipped a beat as the first scent of my candles filled the air, reminding me of the countless nights I lit them, only in hopes that the smoke from their flames would curl around me and hold me together. I look at my antique couch, now light with my two small bags and worn, gray boots, remembering a time when it was sagging, perhaps not literally, under the weight of a brokenhearted woman's belongings and tangible stress.
The air is quiet, the story is thick.
I SERVE A REDEMPTIVE GOD.

Not two months ago, I sat on this very same bed as my eyes searched over the crevices of ones that couldn't look at mine and the sagging skin under them, due to sleep that teased her, screaming far more than she ever could. I sat here. And I listened to my sister unpack the horrors and tragedy her heart was undergoing.
Not even a week ago, she was sharing a new found treasure in the Words of her King as she is learning about His love.
HE REDEEMS.

A little over a year ago, I laid on the cold tiles of my bathroom floor, letting my tears seep into the cracks. Empty, numb, desperate, hurting, angry. I begged, I prayed, for life to be whispered away.
Now, I sit in a warm bed, surrounded by love, once again letting tears speak; only this time, ones of joy, peace, and hope.
BECAUSE HE REDEEMS.

One of my best friends lived through years of hell, complete with drugs, sex, abuse, a close relation's suicide, and an eating disorder.
Wednesday, she went to counseling for the first time ever, completely diminishing the long trail of Satan's lies.
HE REDEEMS.

One of my very good friends has a roommate with a heart of gold and beauty to match. But she struggles to know her worth and therefore acts accordingly, letting filthy people and strong alcohol dictate her life.
A few weekends ago, she stayed in. The first time in 2 years she hasn't had alcohol on the weekends.
HE REDEEMS.

I am humbled and in awe at the work of the Creator. These are just words to you, but these are STORIES, REAL stories. This is my life, BECAUSE HE REDEEMS.

Let all that I am praise the Lord;
with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.
Let all that I am praise the Lord;
may I never forget the good things he does for me.
He forgives all my sins
and heals all my diseases.
He redeems me from death
and crowns me with love and tender mercies.
He fills my life with good things.
--Psalm 103.1-4

1 comment:

  1. Praise God!!!
    I'm rejoicing with you from Oklahoma, Allison. He is so good.

    ReplyDelete