Thursday, March 31, 2011

This morning I woke up and my mind was already reeling. Sometimes I have days like this, and I'm really unsure why. Before, I would cave into my self-attacking thoughts, but Abba has brought me so far on this journey. And this morning, He provided again.

In my house church on Wednesday nights, we are reading Jesus Wants to Save Christians, by Rob Bell. We usually read a chapter a week, and last night's chapter revolved around basically what we, as Americans, are doing with the resources we have. It wasn't until this morning that it bothered me, though. I am very much a person of action. I hate "talk." If you aren't going to back up your words with actions, don't say them to me. I will have more respect for you if you don't. And this morning, Satan was planting thoughts into my head of insignificance. He was helping me feel extremely guilty, coming face to face with all the things I don't do. I don't give enough money, I don't sacrifice enough, I don't spend enough time doing fill-in-the-blank. But the calming Spirit of Christ overwhelmed as He put these thoughts into my head:

"I desire mercy, not sacrifice." Matthew 10. This particular passage is talking about Jesus' relationship with sinners and those who think they're righteous, but I feel like it similarly applies to the false concept of works that I often have.

Hosea 6:6:
"I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices.
I want you to know Me more than I want burnt offerings."
This passage wrapped my heart in peace. I'm not trying to negate the importance of works; however, I AM trying to negate the burdens that come with "not doing enough." We will never be enough. That's the beauty of it.

Lastly, I was brought to the story of Mary and Martha. I'm just going to write it. You read it. You come to know it. You take from it what it means to you.
"As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

But the Lord said to her, 'My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.'" Luke 10:38-42

Take heart. Let your works bring honor to Him and for no other reason. He chose us WHILE WE WERE STILL SINNERS.

1 comment: